How do we collect information
We receive information (including Personal Information) about you from various sources:
- If you voluntarily provide us your personal details within our SaaS Platform by creating an account or by subscribing to our newsletter.
- If you use or access our Platform (for example by visiting our Website or the Embedded Items, by creating content using our Platform or by clicking on certain content or on advertisements);
- From third party websites and services (for example we may receive information from the websites, social network platforms or applications on which the Embedded content are included).
Information We Collect
We also collect information regarding your activity on the Application or Site, including regarding all votes, comments, searches, and postings made by you and any advertisement read and/or advertisement-related link visited by you. We also record certain information automatically, such as your location as well as information regarding your IP address, mobile device (or computer), operating system, and browser. The Application may allow you to customize your biographical information that appears on the Application, including allowing you to provide a photograph. We collect any information you provide in such context, as well as any information you provide when you contact us for any reason. We will monitor your IP location for limited periods of time only for the purpose of better providing our Services.
You are not required by law to provide us with any such information, but by using the Application you agree to provide us with such information. You can always refuse to supply personally-identifying information; however, you acknowledge that such refusal may prevent you from engaging in activities on the Site or the Application.
End users can read our policies, view information collected, and request deletion or amendment of collected information using our data protection dashboard located at https://whichit.co/data-protection/ .
How We Use Information
Except as expressly set forth herein, we will not share your Personal Information with third parties without your explicit permission, except when required by law, regulation, subpoena or court order. We may use Personal Information internally – for example, to help diagnose problems with our servers, to make Whichit more useful, to customize Whichit and personalize its content for you.
We may use your information in order to send you system messages or promotional information based on your preferences, including “push notifications” through your mobile device. We will not send you promotional messages if you opt-out from receiving such messages, or at any time request in writing to stop receiving such promotional messages. Any request to opt-out can be sent to email@example.com. The Application may allow you to send an SMS message to invite a friend or acquaintance to view a post. You represent and warrant that no such messages shall be deemed spam, or a violation of applicable law.
In addition, by analyzing all information we receive, including all information concerning users and lending or borrowing activity, we may compile statistical information across a variety of users (“Statistical Information”). Statistical Information helps understand trends and customer needs so that new products and services can be considered and so existing products and services can be tailored to customer desires. Statistical Information is anonymous and we will not link Statistical Information to any Personal Information. We may share such Statistical Information with our partners, without restriction, on commercial terms that we can determine in our sole discretion.
We keep this collected information as long as it remains necessary to provide our clients with access to and use of the Site and Application, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Whichit makes available a variety of privacy options so that you can determine which information you make public. Please review these privacy options. Whichit reserves the right to change the privacy functionality provided by the Application, including any default privacy settings.
When you vote or provide feedback on the Application or Site, please remember that any information disclosed in this venue may be made public, and such information will not be considered Personal Information by Whichit. You should exercise caution when disclosing any information (including Personal Information) in such a venue, as you do not know who will access or use such information and for what purposes. Other users may have the ability to re-share posts that you make on Whichit. Even if you categorize a particular post as private, it may appear in the Whichit community though it will not appear on your public profile page. Details regarding users that you follow or that follow you will not be private.
We will retain your Personal Information for as long as necessary to provide our services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our policies.
Retention periods shall be determined taking into account the type of information that is collected and the purpose for which it is collected for, bearing in mind the requirements applicable to the situation and the need to destroy outdated, unused information at the earliest reasonable time.
How we Protect Information
We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the Personal Information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
We will delete any information provided to us by a user upon the receipt of a written request by such user. We cannot restore information once it has been deleted.
Our collected information reside within the EU in secured data centres and encrypted at rest and over the wire (on transit).
What cookies do we use?
- Service functionality cookies: We use these cookies for providing the full functionality of the Services, such as a “login & registration” cookie that saves your login credentials in protected areas to save the need to login to the Website on each visit, and a “block repeat voting” cookie that saves your vote in the cookie to block multiple voting. These cookies are first-party cookies, and can be either permanent or temporary. Without these cookies the Website and the Services won't work properly or won't be able to provide certain features and functionalities.
- Third-party cookies: On some pages of the Website, we may have content from third-party services, such as Google Analytics or Facebook. Please note that we do not control any cookies which are used by these services and you should check the relevant third-party website for more information about these.
Third Party Sites and Services
Portions of the Application or Site may involve linking to or using web sites or services belonging to third parties. We have no control over third-party sites or services, and all use of third-party sites or services is at your own risk. Whichit cannot accept responsibility for the privacy policies of any such sites. Whichit is not responsible for content or available by means of such sites or services. Whichit does not endorse any products or services offered by third parties and we urge our users to exercise caution in using third-party sites or services.
Whichit does not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13. In the event you become aware that an individual under the age of 13 has enrolled without parental permission, please advise us immediately.
Use and Transfer of Your Information
We allow you to use our Services in connection with third-party services, sites and/or applications. If you use our Services with or through such third-parties, we may receive information about you from those third parties. Please note that when you use third-parties outside of our Application and Site, their own terms and privacy policies will govern your use of those services. We will not share your information with other companies, except under the following limited circumstances:
We may share information, in the form of aggregated, anonymous data, with our business partners to aid in their understanding of how users are using our Site and Application.
Our list of service provider include storage and cloud providers (such as Microsoft Azure, Google, Cloudflare and MongoDB), marketing affiliates (who assist us with carrying our marketing campaigns, such as email campaigns), our system monitoring tools and our analytics providers who help us provide you with our service.
We may transfer our databases containing your Personal Information if we sell our business or part of it.
Law Enforcement related disclosure:
We will do our best to respond to your requirements as soon as reasonably practicable.
We may use subcontractors that are located in countries other than your own, and send them information we receive. For example, we may send your information to any countries outside the United States, Canada or the European Union. All our subcontractors will be subject to non-disclosure and non-use obligations. Nevertheless, some countries may have levels of protection of personal and other information which are not as high as in your country of residence or business.
We may transfer our databases containing your Personal Information if we sell our business or part of it.
You can exercise your rights regarding your personal data collected through the Website by contacting us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by using our end users data protection dashboard located at https://whichit.co/data-protection/.
- The right to access, rectification, portability, and erasure: Upon our request, we will provide you with information on if and what personal data is stored by us. In order to fulfil this request, you will need you to provide us with an identifying piece of data so we can locate the personal data on our system. You will then have the right to request us to access the personal data, rectify/change it, transfer it to you, or request us to erase it from our systems.
- The right to object and restrict processing: You have the right to object or restrict processing of your personal data, such as request us to stop sending emails to you. Please note that, in this case, we may not be able to provide you with certain services.
- The right of withdraw consent: If you provide us with your express consent, you can revoke it from us at any time.
- The right to launch a complaint: If you would like to launch a complaint about the way in which your personal data is handled, please contact us first. After you contact us, we will send you a confirmation that we have received your complaint. Afterwards, we will investigate your complaint and provide you with our response within a reasonable timeframe but no later than 2 weeks. If you are a resident of the European Union and you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you have the right to lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority.
Data Protection Authority
Subject to applicable law, you also have the right to (i) restrict Whichit’s use of Other Information that constitutes your Personal Data and (ii) lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority or the The Information Commissioner’s Office , which is Whichit’s lead supervisory authority in the European Union. If you are a resident of the European Economic Area and believe we maintain your Personal Data within the scope of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), you may direct questions or complaints to our lead supervisory authority:
Comments and Questions
To: Data Protection Officer
Whichit UK Ltd
20 Ropemaker St.
EC2Y 9AR, London
Last updated: May 2018